Dog First Aid - Emergencies (Poisoning)
We got a PAWsome pocket handbook on Pet First Aid by The National Humane Society and we just had to share it with you! We know how important your pet's health and safety is and we want to make sure you have the information at your finger tips! We will have the information in individual blogs so it's easy for you to find based on what you need to know!
This blog post is on the symptoms and treatments on poisoning.
First, please call your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline at 855.764.7661 for information about the specific poison involved. If you know what the poison was, take the vomit, poison or container it was in to the veterinarian with you.
Ingested Poisons Treatment:
- Call your veterinarian immediately and do not induce vomiting unless told to do so.
Inhaled Poison Treatment:
- Get your dog into fresh air immediately.
- Watch for shock and administer CPR if needed.
Topical Poisons Treatment:
- Quickly identify the topical toxin. For water-based toxins, use a mild dish washing liquid and rinse thoroughly. Repeat as necessary until all the topical poison is removed. For oil-based toxins, first apply butter, peanut butter, or mayonnaise. Then bathe with mild dish washing soap as above.
- If the poison is in the eye, flush with water or sterile eyewash.
- If the poison is a powder, dust or vacuum it off.